Home laundry is a safe, cost-effective alternative to industrial laundering and can help extend the service life and protective qualities of FR clothing. It’s important to note that the quality, American-made fibers and fabrics sold by Tyndale are all guaranteed flame resistant for the life of the garment. Laundering instructions are primarily designed to help get the clothing clean, minimize shrinkage, extend useful life, and provide guidance on what you should avoid, like introducing substances that may compromise flame resistant properties such as bleach or fabric softener.
First and foremost, you should always follow the instructions on the garment label. Additionally, Tyndale provides the following guidelines - included with every shipment containing FR clothing and vetted by industry leaders - on garment care and maintenance.
· Wash in warm water - for heavily soiled garments, wash in the hottest temperature allowed on the care label (generally a warm setting) to remove dirt.
· Use small wash loads, if possible - this helps reduce wear and improve cleaning.
· Wash FR clothing inside out, separate from everyday clothing - this helps reduce wear.
· Tumble dry on low or permanent press, or the “less dry” setting - drying a garment on high heat can cause excessive shrinkage. Most shrinkage is caused by overdrying, which occurs when a garment continues to be heated.
· Remove from dryer damp or line dry to minimize shrinkage - two-thirds of a garment’s shrinkage often takes place within the first five washings.
· Dry-cleaning is recommended for difficult stains - or try spot-treating stains with detergent prior to washing.
Tyndale worked with Proctor and Gamble to select the best detergent to wash your FR clothing. Liquid Tide (for top-loading machines) or Liquid Tide HE (for front-loading machines) offer excellent cleaning performance.
Perhaps equally as important as knowing what you should do is knowing what you should not do when home laundering FR clothing. DO NOT USE:
· Liquid chlorine bleach
· Fabric softener
· Detergent with fabric softener
· Oversized wash loads
If you have any FR Clothing issues (examples - Oil or Pole foam on clothing) fill out the Exelon Employee Action Form to get your clothing replaced. Ask your Union Steward or BAPP Representative for the form or save the form below.